View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Been assigned to work Security at a Sorority House

Good day! I am a current college student who has his eyes set on a career in law enforcement and/or corrections. I came to this forum not necessarily to understand how to join a fraternity, but rather, to get some insight into a new job I have been assigned.

At the moment I work armed security (that is, with all equipment such as a firearm, baton, chemical agent spray, etc). I have recently been assigned to work a Sorority House at a major University. While I have been assigned by my Guard Company, I am still waiting final approval from the House Director before I begin.

This post is mainly aimed at Sorority members. My aim is to be the absolute best security guard I can possibly be and gain some information into this fairly unique security post. In fact, it was hinted they may have had issues with previous guards not giving their work 100%, and I aim to restore any misconceptions or stereotype of a security guard with the professionalism that is expected of someone in law enforcement or the military.

That said, tell me. If your house has a security guard, what do you like and not like about the guard and how would you have him/her improve if you were able to do so. Also, what does your house guard do on a daily basis. Does he walk in circles around the house at night or does he man some sort of post inside the house, making occasional foot patrols? Any info on this upcoming assignment would be helpful.

If you do have a Security Guard or even if you don't, I would like to know what are you main concerns about safety and security at your Sorority House and how can they be rectified or improved.

Can you share any incidents that happened to you at your Sorority House and how they were resolved or how they could have been better resolved? I have a good working understanding of the law and what a private person can and cannot do under certain circumstances such as trespassing or assault.

Basically, what can I do to be the best darn guard I can and make fear for safety at the house a second thought while i'm there. I would like to make a good impression as I always have.

I am excited for this possible post. Having served in the military, I always took great pride in the idea, wrong or right, that I was taking the fight to those who would do harm to Americans in their own backyard, and keeping Americans safe domestically. I feel the same sense of duty while standing guard over a Sorority House in this fairly questionable part of town.

Thank you in advanced for your replies. If there is anything outside of my questions you'd like to add, please don't hesitate. I will use this info to surprise my new contract house with exceptional service, likely, that they've never had before. And who knows. If your house is currently hiring a new guard or may be soon, I may be that guy.

Thanks again!