View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, live in Phx, my friend went to U of P for her undergrad and grad work.

They have, I would guess 5-7 buildings around 32nd street and I-10. They have, I would say an equal amount on both the north and the south side of the freeway. They also have buildings throughout the Phoenix Metro area (Ahwatukee, Tempe, Mesa, Glendale, etc...).

As people have mentioned they aren't a traditional college. It is for working adults. The classes are every 5 weeks. My friend owes more for her undergrad and her grad than I do for my undergrad, 1st masters and now my 2nd masters. But U of P worked for her because she was working full-time and taking her classes in the evening, which is what U of P is all about.

U of P owns the name for the stadium (as previously stated). There was a whole bidding war on what the stadium would be named. I call it UPS. It is home to the Cardinals and Fiesta Bowl. It has concerts, graduations and has hosted the National Championship and Super Bowl. They also do the weekend things (like the Bridal shows, Womens' Expo, etc...). It's a nice stadium, I've only ever got to see it at my friends graduation. (Mainly because since the stadium has opened Cardinal tickets have been sold out and I also don't want to be the exorbant amount to watch the Cardinals lose, yes I of ye little faith for my home team).

To the OP, if you are wanting a traditional college in AZ, your choices are U of A, ASU and even possibly Grand Canyon. U of A and ASU both are state universities, huge campuses (ASU is about 60-70 thousand students and U of A is about 50-60 thousand, although I tried searching the official school sites and I couldn't find accurate data, maybe someone else can).

Grand Canyon University is a private Christian college, no Greek life (that I know of) and your cost will be more due to 1) it being private and 2) out of state (but out of state will be said for the other two universities as well).

As for Greek Life, I consider both strong (since I attended both schools) but they vary.

U of A: the sororities have houses. So the cost is going to go up considerably because you will be paying for a house and meals. The chapter total is around 180 (that is how many girls we can recruit this fall), but some chapters are going to be well over 180 women, some will be in the 200's. There are also some struggling chapters down there that will be in the 50's. I'm not saying either is good or bad, I'm just laying down the facts. Also, you will be required to live in the house. The length of time will be dependent on the sorority and the needs. Average would be 1-2 years.

Here is the link to U of A greek life: http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/greek/

The website isn't updated, but ADPi will be recolonizing U of A this fall.

ASU: the sororities have a dorm, Adelphi Commons. The cost will be less than a house and you won't be paying for meals, but you will be paying for a dorm. I believe total is 120 at ASU. I also believe most chapters are at or above total. (I really know more about ADPi since I help with recruitment). You would also be required to live in the dorm. Again, I believe it is 1-2 years (although I think they do semesters, 2-4 semesters). The chapters will vary in price for their dues, but they will be considerably less than U of A.

Here is the link to ASU greek life: http://www.asu.edu/studentaffairs/mu/greeklife/

Both schools have positives and negatives to their greek lifes, without question I think all schools do.

But your statement of "looking for other options" shouldn't revolve around greek life. You should be looking for a school that best suits your needs for the education that you want and the degree that you want, not which has the best greek life.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt