View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
my personal preference for engine is InnoDB
InnoDB does seem really good. I've been reading up on it this week. That's what I'll likely be switching to, specifically for the transactions feature. Seems that may help significantly with data integrity in the face of all these power issues.

Once the power issues are sorted out hopefully there won't be any related problems again for a long time. But, if there are problems at least I'll know InnoDB may be able to handle it much better.

In addition, I'm going to test ZFS with my setup and if it works out well I'll place the MySQL data folder on a zpool for the additional data integrity benefits.

Quote:
I'm guessing you don't have control over which engine is used
On the server, yes, but no so much with regards to the software.

Back when this version of the forum software was developed they decided to go with MyISAM. InnoDB was available then, but MyISAM was the default for MySQL at the time so maybe that's why they went with it.

I recall back then that InnoDB wasn't necessarily recommended for vBulletin, unsure exactly why but one of the issues mentioned was relating to full text search being available in MyISAM but not in InnoDB (which I read this week that it does now have that feature). Apparently, though, full text in MyISAM only impacted the search engine of the forum software but instead of fixing the search to work with InnoDB they just went with MyISAM tables.

Anyhow, there is a path to switching over to InnoDB which works with the current software that I'll be looking more into. (Although, I'm not planning to keep GC on this forum software much longer, but that is an entirely different topic that I'll be starting a new thread about soon.)

Quote:
Do you have any tools available to you to analyze DB performance? (e.g. NewRelic)
I've read about NewRelic but never used it before. The server isn't too overloaded so I never really found it necessary to explore squeezing more performance out of the DB in that way.
^^^ Help Support GC ^^^