View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 12:23 AM

I thought the Connecticut DMV was horrible.

It is the epitome of efficiency compared to the Louisiana OMV.

CT DMV: As soon as you enter, someone greets you, asks what you are there to accomplish, makes sure you have the requisite documents, and either (a) gives you a number (and there are different queues depending on the complexity of your situation - a driver's license renewal, an out-of-state conversion, etc.) or (b) tells you right up front that you are missing documents that you need and sends you away to go get them. In the latter case, you know within less than 5 minutes that you can't (say) convert your out-of-state license because you didn't bring proof of your new address, so you can leave and come back later with it.

LA OMV: You enter and take a ticket. Yes, they have the same take-a-number machines you see at delis and such. If you're lucky, you sit and wait. If you're unlucky, you stand and wait. If you're very lucky, someone gives up waiting and decides to leave and hands over their number to you because you're a pretty lady who's been chatting and commiserating with them. (I was very lucky. ) When your number is called - in maybe three hours, if you are extremely lucky - you go to the window, tell the OMV worker what you want to accomplish, and then (and only then) you get processed. If you are missing a document you need, tough sh!t, you've just wasted three hours and you have to go get the document and go back and take a number and go through the whole process again.

CT DMV: Offices are open late on Thursdays and are open on Saturdays.

LA OMV: Offices are open M-F 8-4. If you have to go there in person (such as for an out-of-state license conversion) and you have a M-F 8:30-6 job, you have to take time off work.

CT DMV: Will help you register to vote.

LA OMV: Won't (even though they're supposed to).

*sigh*

However, I am now officially a Louisiana resident.