View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Portable Television had a 2-night event, on a Tuesday/Wednesday, though PNMs only had to go to one night. This was fortunate for me as I had another obligation Tuesday night. I walked into the house and saw so many girls sitting in the living room and the dining room. It was a bit intimidating at first; we basically just walked into the house and had to find a place to sit and talk with the members. There was no one at the door to invite us into the house or to get us started with the event, which I thought was odd. I am a little on the shy side, so it was harder for me to just sit down with some girls and start talking, especially because this was my first recruitment experience. Fortunately, one member saw me after a minute and led me to a table where some girls were playing a board game.

The girls seemed so nice! They quickly included me in their game and started getting to know me. One, after a while, took me on a house tour. Their house was gorgeous! We went back to the board game, and this girl Kate (not her real name) started talking to me. She was a lot like me – smart, skeptical about joining a sorority – but she really loved Portable Television. She and I really got along well, and we made plans to hang out that weekend. I left feeling really good about Portable Television. I’d really liked all the girls I’d met, and I thought I fit in pretty well with them. I could see myself hanging out with them. More importantly, though, that night I could see myself in a sorority in general. I felt like sorority life would be a good fit for me. They told us we’d get a call on Tuesday if we got a bid; I was really hopeful. I really liked Portable Television.

Kate and I hung out that weekend and had a blast. We went to a magic show my school put on that Friday night and then went to a dance on Saturday night with her roommate. She was so cool and so like me! I felt a lot better about wanting to join a sorority having met someone so similar to me who loved her sorority.

Tuesday came, and I felt good about Portable Television. I was pretty sure I’d get a bid; I thought I’d gotten along with so many of the girls, especially Kate, so well.

Tuesday came and went with no call.

I couldn’t believe it. What had happened? I thought I’d fit in with Portable Television! Why did they not give me a bid? That night was tough; I was heartbroken. I had really wanted to get into Portable Television only to not receive a bid.

That next morning, however, I felt better about my situation remembering that What Sarah Said’s event was that night. I decided that even though I was upset about Portable Television, I would dust myself off and give What Sarah Said a fair shot and see if I might fit in there as well.