Thread: chaplain ideas?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the chaplain office can be whatever you make of it. Being chaplain was the first office I ever held. I loved it!

Here are some ideas. But first keep in mind my chapter is down south in the Bible belt, so things could be different for your chapter. (At my school most GLOs had their chaplain stand up and pray at every formal recruitment party. ha ha- I bet they don't do that at many schools!!!) Just use these ideas to get you thinking about how you could change them to meet the needs of your sisters. OK:

*You could have weekly or monthly Bible studies

*In my chapter we took prayer requests & everyone wrote them down. Or, you could post them on a bulletin board.

*Find out what different faiths you have represented in your chapter & try to include readings from each of their holy texts.

*You could do a neat workshop on the interpretation of the 15th Psalm. Once I saw it done where a person would read the actual text, then another person would read the interpretation of each section. It was very effective.

*Work with the philanthropy chair to do a project for a faith-based organization. You could even make this a COR event.

*Host an all-Greek Bible study or speaker. You could get good PR mileage out of it if you work it right.

*Send letters to different sisters each week to let them know you're praying for them or give them words of encouragment.

*Have sheets of paper with a Bible verse printed on the top (something talking about unity or love, etc. - there's a good one I can't remember right now about How good it is when brothers (sisters) work together in unity. Tape a sheet on everyone's back, then have the chapter go around and write nice things on other people's papers. I still have mine- it's fun and encouraging to look at! You could do this activity at chapter retreat (work with the MEVP) or possibly a chapter meeting.

*Organize everyone to attend a church together once a semester.

*Put Bible verses or encouraging quotes in the bathroom stalls (if you have a house or facilities).

Those are all I can think of right now. I'll post some more later if I think of any to add.

PLAM,
WLFEO