View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
When I was an undergraduate member, my chapter had a point system. We received points similar to what Texax*Prinecess mentioned below, so many points for each event. In order to be able to attend large social functions, like big date parties and formals we had to have 80% of the total points. If you didn't, you weren't able to go.

I think that adpiucf's suggestion of supplying members with a calendar on a monthly basis is an excellent idea. Another similar option might be, if your chapter has a group listserve, maybe you could send out an email of upcoming events on the first of the month.

I think that AGDee raises some excellent questions. IMO, overprogramming is a big problem in society today. I think too many people have too much to do. The chapter that I belonged to during college was smaller than many of the other chapters on my campus at the time, however, we had the inherent feeling that we had to keep up with the Joneses. I think that one of the best ways to deal with this is to try and combine things together if possible. We had a chapter rule that if an officer did not announce something more than two weeks prior to the date, she could not make the event mandatory. If she wanted to make it mandatory it had to be put to a chapter vote. I think this helped cut down on the last minute mandatory events.