View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

in 2008, my daughter got on a plane to Seattle with one suitcase and one carry-on for Recruitment. At that time you were required to sign-up for housing and then had to cancel if you joined a sorority. ($50 fee for cancelling). She was scheduled for temporary housing anyway, so this is an improvement in that you don't have to lose the $50. At that time, she did not have to provide her own sheets and towels for the recruitment housing.

From what you said about your trunk, are you taking your car with you or are you talking about a clothes trunk? If you have a car, you can easily drive to a mall to get the things you need. Be sure you are there in time to buy what you need. During the actual recruitment time you will probably be too tired to run out for anything, because it is exhausting.

If you don't have a car, there are some shops walking distance at the University Village, but for bedding you would have a choice between Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn. No walking to Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target etc, but maybe you can make friends with someone who does have a car.

My daughter was able to survive recruitment week and the next week on what she brought with her. Once she was a new member, she went shopping with her new sisters for her pledging dress (even though she had a new white dress with her). We then drove up from California, on Friday for presentation with the rest of her things (and yes she brought too much). You could have your things ready to be shipped and call your parents with your new shipping address once you know where you will live (sorority or not). Since she didn't have sheets or towels that first week in the sorority house, she was able to borrow things from people who lived nearby. But you will need them before then, so you will have to decide if it is worth the extra suitcase space and fees or the price of an upscale shopping center. Comforters and pillows take up a lot of space in a suitcase, you might want to bring a towel, washcloth and sheets and get the other things in Seattle.

Good luck to you, I hope you decide to go through recruitment. It was certainly a wonderful thing for my daughter to find a home, when she was so far away and didn't know anyone. My daughter will be graduating this June after four fabulous years at UW.

DoubleRose

OK you did say car. Get there early and find someone who wants to go shopping. They can point you to the mall.

Last edited by DoubleRose; 04-20-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: OK I remembered the trunk part, but not the trunk of the car.