View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I don't necessarily believe it's discrimination if say, The Islamic Student Center members are put off by some well meaning fundamentalist Protestant wanting to join their group.

Or if one of my fellow Catholics insists on joining the Baptist Student Union. Shouldn't that be up to the groups themselves to decide?

If you wish to attend a meeting or a function because you have had thoughts of adopting that faith, that's one thing. But a University causing a problem for a group of students of the same faith because they all want to essentially hang out together is not a good thing. I recall this really being a huge issue at Vanderbilt a few years ago. Perhaps a member of the Idaho legislature thinks it's wrong too.

Let us know how it comes out.
Sorry for the double post, but this is a really big issue at Vanderbilt right now. That was in the article that I linked to earlier. There is state legislation proposed that is going to deny universities in the state from having their own police forces if they don't rescind their nondiscrimination policies. I just don't get the correlation. The apparent concern is what you mentioned among groups of faith and non-adherents of X religion gaining leadership positions in those groups. (i.e., a Christian becomes president of Islamic student group).

I just don't get it.