View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
At the end of the day, the value he offers his own chapter is what counts- but here on GC he has stuck his neck out and needs to take his lumps.
He's offered quite a bit on both a national and local scale. I have nothing but respect for what he's done.

I think what he says is essentially correct, in that different recruiting techniques yield different results, but I think, as I've said before that the reason kids join fraternities is to have fun, not to "share values." The old and the new are integrated when you find kids who want to have fun, but find the sort of values-based fraternity to be appealing.

We aren't Bible-study groups with houses. We're fraternities. We are what we are.

I don't think he ever sold the KU chapter as his own as the "best." He simply acknowledged that colonies are a different sort of experience which many would find more fulfilling than being in an established chapter (and many would regret their decision to join a colony as well). I don't really see anything wrong with that.

I'm sure that he knows from his personal relationships with collegians that if you condescend, you don't get anywhere fast. He's new to GC, so he's entitled to a mulligan.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma