View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Woof! Wonderful furry dog recruitment "tail"

What's better than some cute pups to represent the 5 sororities at my daughter's school during her recruitment?

Official recruitment events start next week. She had the Panhellenic Info session and next up is a full Meet the Greeks event for all the social fraternities and sororities on campus. (She's supposed to go get froyo after with her Rho Chi and recruitment group as well.) She's had interactions already with some of the sororities and actives through her orientation and welcome week activities and two groups keep popping up to the top of the list.

So we have -

Labrador Retrievers
Great Danes
Bulldogs
Basset Hounds
German Shepherds

(I picked bigger breeds that we've actually owned over the years, so no specific references to personalities of the dogs to personalities of the chapters!)

Labs - Her freshman welcome week leader was a Lab and she adores this girl. At the Panhellenic meeting, they toured the chapter suites and daughter was quite impressed with the comfort factor of the suite. She said the study area was definitely some place she could be happy to regularly use with her sisters. The other Labs she's met are also very much typical personalities to her regular friend group and she feels she could find a home with them pretty well so far. She's also a huge fan of their philanthropy, as our family has a personal connection to that as well. So far the Labs are probably tied for 1st/2nd for her.

Great Danes - This group has been the most visible overall to her. She's met several different actives through the campus events and all have been very personable to her. They are fairly diverse and daughter feels she could easily find her place among them. Our cousin and a couple of family friends are also members of the Danes at other schools (or alumnae). She's got 3-4 recs for the Danes because of this. Currently tied for 1st/2nd with the Labs.

Bulldogs - She hasn't met too many of these girls. They have a good enough rep and the few she has met have been nice. However, my stepson dated a girl from this chapter (I think she graduated) and she was a bit on the crazy and controlling side, so I'm having to remind my daughter to keep an open mind and don't judge the whole group by one.

Basset Hounds - The newest addition to the campus (within the last couple of years I think?) and don't really have a lot of history or chapter culture in place yet. Sweet girls though and daughter says seems to be pretty diverse, but none of the ones she's met so far have really clicked with her. She's definitely keeping an open mind about them though. (I'm kind of pushing that more with this group than others because I know the new factor makes them less polished with recruiting right now. I told her to give them a little leeway for that.)

German Shepherds - She says these girls are nice, at least the ones she met. She also really liked their suite as well. She's worried to have this group as a favorite though, because they are very proud of the group GPA and seem to be more strict with PNM GPA than the other groups. Daughter is not at the very low end of the scale, but average. She's still going to try and win them over with personality, but understanding she might be cut from them pretty early on. Currently she'd probably list them 3rd, but we will see.

First night of parties is next week with Philanthropy night. I'm not sure if they narrow from 5 to 3 or 4 after that.