View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Cynically, I'd say that the cops believed the white man's claims of self-defense against a young black man, and without further evidence, there wasn't much of a case.

I'd say that after reviewing the evidence I've seen put forward by folks who are obviously pretty biased against Zimmerman, assuming those facts to be true and that there is nothing out there to mitigate them, it doesn't look great for him, although, he could still put on a reasonable enough criminal defense to get acquitted.
In the initial accounts - Zimmerman claimed he was at his truck in the street, and the young man attacked him. Later reports -witnesses said Zimmerman was inside the house and saw the young man outside and came out with his weapon. The 911 call confirms the second report.

To make the claim of self-defense (even in Texas), Zimmerman would have to have reasonable fear for his safety - which would mean the young man had to be coming into his house or have a weapon on Zimmerman's property (not on the street.) Clearly, that is not the case here, and he should be charged.