View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Story :)

I’ve been looking at this site for a long time, and I was inspired to write my own recruitment story.

I had 6 sororities to choose from. I knew next to nothing about sorority life going into it, and I was really looking to fit in somewhere. I wasn’t the stereotypical sorority girl, and my friends from back home were completely confused when I said I was thinking about joining. They thought I had lost it. In reality, my roommate had convinced me that this was a good idea. She didn’t want to go into the process alone, so I figured I’d sign up. To this day, I still don’t think that my friends from home completely comprehend what it is that sororities do, and why the hell I decided to go through recruitment, and I don’t think they ever will. Because from the outside looking in.....

So I met my Recruitment Counselor and she was amazing... very bubbly, very happy, very willing to help everyone out. Throughout the process she was more than excited about every party we were invited to, and she was more than comforting when we were cut by our favorite houses. She made the experience so much easier for me.

(I’m going to name each chapter different... Greek letters. I figure that makes sense).

Round 1:

It was a whirlwind. Numerous cheers, songs, sisters. I was overcome with enthusiasm, and fear, and worry, and excitement. And in the process I met some truly wonderful women.

Alpha - This chapter was considered to be one of the best on campus, but I guess I didn’t see it. Overall, the girls were nice enough, but something just threw me off. The first girl I talked to made me feel like I wasn’t worthy enough to be in her sorority. She kept saying things like, “Well, you know, you need to have a high GPA to be a sister. Like, really high. We don’t take just anyone.” It was really awkward. What do I say to that?!... “Yeah, I heard all the sororities have minimum GPAs. That’s definitely a positive about being in Greek life... the focus on academic success...” Then she’d bring up something else. “Well, you also need to do community service, and some of it’s hard. It’s not just collecting money from people. Have you ever done any?” Ahhh. But then I was able to talk to another sister who very nice, and she answered a whole bunch of questions for me. When I told her I was from out-of-state, and then told her specifically where I was from, she introduced me to another sister who lived very close to me. It was good that I was able to talk to another sister, but the conversation didn’t flow. I left here kind of disappointed.

Beta - My first impression of the Betas was that they were cute and spunky, and just really excited. They were so nice, but I felt like they were just a little too peppy for me. “The Cheerleader Chapter” is what I referred to them as in my head. I thought they were adorable, but they were the complete opposite of me. I didn’t really think I’d fit in here.

Gamma - Gamma was amazing. They were everyone’s favorite. The girl that I talked to at this party was more than willing to take me around and introduce me to her other sisters. She was friendly and bubbly, and I was afraid I was a little too nervous. At times I felt like I couldn’t say anything because she dominated the conversation. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. I think she was just really excited, and she clearly loved her sorority. Who wouldn’t?!

Delta - This chapter seemed to be struggling a bit. They were really nice, and they really seemed to care for one another, but you could just tell that their spirit was a little crushed. With the way that some of the PNMs were treating them, I wasn’t surprised. They were trying so hard, and I could see that they really struggled to get PNMs to see how amazing they are. The girl that I talked to was so sweet, and she genuinely enjoyed her sorority. I had to be double-rushed here, but I didn’t mind at all. The Delta really seemed to know what she was doing, and she made an effort to talk to both of us PNMs. I wanted to love this house, but I left feeling kind of indifferent.

Epsilon - Epsilon had a reputation. I never really heard anything about any of the chapters before rush started... except about the Epsilons. Don’t get me wrong, I was all about going out, having a few drinks, making trips to McDonald’s at 3am, and not being able to wake up until 2pm the next day... but I didn’t want to do that every day. I figured that there are obviously stereotypes about sororities, and I didn’t want to believe the ones I heard about this chapter... especially after I had already seen many different sides of the sorority spectrum today. But I got to their house, and the girl who rushed me was talking about her boyfriend. She asked me if I had one, too. At the time, I didn’t, and she asked me why not. Uncomfortable! Then she started talking about going out on the weekend. She wouldn’t say anything bad, but she would allude to things that probably weren’t appropriate to talk about during recruitment. She then asked me what I like to do on the weekends, and I told her I like to go out with friends. She asked specifically what we’d do. I said we’d go out to dinner, to the movies, hang out in the dorms, etc. I think she was looking for a “more exciting” answer from me, but I wasn’t about to jeopardize my chances of getting into ANY house just to sound “cool”.

Zeta - Zeta was great. These girls were really down to earth. The sister I talked to asked me what I like to do in my spare time, and I told her that I play guitar. She thought that was awesome. Her boyfriend was in a band, and she said, “Hey, they’re looking for another guitar player..” We laughed, and the rest of the conversation flowed well. I met one other sister who was HILARIOUS. She was clearly the life of the party, and she loved being the focus of attention. After talking to her for a bit, I asked my original Zeta some questions... of which I remember none now... but she was more than willing to answer all of them for me.

My rankings:

Zeta
Gamma
Delta
Epsilon
Beta
Alpha