View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Congratulations on your foresight to discover, and document, the history of the founding members of Alpha Phi Omega.

What type of questions about your founders, which seem to never have answers, are asked most frequently by your members? That may be where your first threads of inquiry begin, with what your membership desires to know.

The amount of information you choose to discover and disseminate also depends on the time you personally have to investigate, as well as the number of founders. Are you making this your full-time hobby for the next several years, or devoting only a few weekly hours to the task? Your answer will help you plan the number of questions you can logically manage to investigate.

ANY information you can gather will be of SOME use to your initiates.

When and how you present all, or some of, the information you gather to other members will be judiciously decided by you.

Our organization enjoys the good fortune of founders who began keeping a history from the start. It includes answers to all the questions you ask in your OP.

Some of our historical information is presented to new members before they initiate, some in appropriate training manuals for members. General info about our founders is shown on multiple public websites.

Over the years, we've published several history books which are made available for purchase by, and perusal of, all members. These volumes have also been given to some campus libraries where we have/desire to have chapters. Common sharing of history volumes among NPC/IFC groups upon publication is known.

The deepest information regarding our founders is archived at our headquarters, and members with questions have been known to get answers to tough and infrequently asked questions by contacting their office.
As a note, Alpha Phi Omega will turn 100 in December 2025 and I've been working on this research on and off for over 5 years.

For Alpha Phi Omega, there is sort of a split, with the brothers and sisters of Alpha Phi Omega of the Philippines being more interested in general than those in the United States.

Burial places is a big thing, but I'm sort of hesitant to publicize that information since it is an incomplete set. We have 14 student founders, I've located actual graves for 10, 1 died (body unrecovered, we have a veteran trying to track down better records) in World War II (so on a wall in a Military Cemetary in the UK, 1 who was buried *somewhere* on Barbados (inoperable cancer and basically went there to die) and 2 that I don't much information on at all.

I have far more than is in our pledge manual (or the national history book published in 1993)

I have birth date for all, Which social fraternity they were in (Alpha Phi Omega is non-exclusive with the socials), degrees achieved, what most of them did for a living, Wife's name for more than half, death date for all (thank you Social Security Death Index)

Information on the 6 Advisors is actually somewhat easier to come by (college faculty are generally notable enough that more information is kept). I also have found the biographical directory of all alumni from the school from 23 years after the original chartering, so if they stayed in contact with the school at all, I have pretty good biographies up that point. (oddly enough edited by one of the founding advisors) https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...eq=7&skin=2021

Work that I've put together as a spreadsheet is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing