View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
By design, community colleges don't offer the "breadth" of a university - they offer 2 year degrees, but that doesn't mean the education is in any way shape or form inferior. When students take my freshman or sophomore classes, they have an award-winning instructor with over 30 years of experience in a class of 25 or less; at many 4 year schools, they would be being taught by a graduate assistant, or a professor who relies on graduate assistants who are taking their own classes, in a class of a hundred or more. We tracked students from my college and compared their eventual g.p.a.s and completion rate with students who started at a 4 year college - and our students did better. Universities accept community college credits because the students are getting the education they need to succeed in getting a 4 year degree.
It's no secret there are NPC sororities who would not deign to have a chapter at some schools by virtue of the campuses not have the cachet they require. (Looking at a certain NPC that loudly proclaimed they would NEVER have a chapter at Texas State because of an article in Playboy from the 70s. Their loss, I assure you.) That's fine. Their prerogative. But if the NPC is looking into community colleges, let's not adopt the stereotypical attitude of "Well, OBVIOUSLY community college students aren't academically or socially our equals." There are plenty of objective reasons it would not be viable, but to generalize and act like snotty mean girls looking down on community college students isn't a good look. Do we exist to share sisterhood, or to act as glorified cliques? And can glorified cliques continue to exist?
There are NPC sororities that thrive on smaller, perhaps less prestigious colleges. If they, or in fact any NPC member, after careful study and consideration, wants to try, as long as they go in with their eyes open, I'd say that's their prerogative, too. (And yes, I know all 26 would have to agree.)
Bravo! This exactly. Look at where your chapters are. Do you see a trend? Have they been staying at Big State U/Private prestigious U or are they moving towards the many newer 4 year schools that are popping up? UAB was an "extension center" for the main campus for decades before it came into its own. Stop and look at all your chapters...check out the map I'm sure your group has of locations. What do you see? Christopher Newport? Grand Valley State? UC Merced? Where were these places 15-20 years ago? And where were your groups? If we can survive and thrive on these places, I'm sure the leadership of our groups and NPC will make the right decision for CCs. And as I said before, reach out to your group's extension officer and express your views. Anchor love to you all.