Thread: Fraternity Life
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If you know anything about Sigma Chi you will notice a lot of similarities between Sigma Chi and Sigma Chi Omega...they used to be a petitioning colony until they were denied by our IHQ. Here is a article from IHQ. It was a very good read and reassuring.

SIGMA CHI & REALITY TV
MTV’s Fraternity Life Sigma Chi Omega has no affiliation with Sigma Chi Fraternity

The fraternity Sigma Chi Omega portrayed on MTV’s Fraternity Life has no relation to the Sigma Chi Fraternity. The local fraternity at the University of Buffalo did apply at one time to become a petitioning local of the Sigma Chi Fraternity, but its application was denied.

Sigma Chi is watching Fraternity Life carefully and will take neccessary action if it is determined that Sigma Chi's licensed trademark rights have been violated. The use of the name Sigma Chi Omega and the colors do not currently violate these rights.

MESSAGE FROM THE GRAND CONSUL REGARDING MEDIA PORTRAYAL OF FRATERNITY LIFE

Did The Bachelorette portray a realistic dating experience? Did the Joe Millionaire ladies love Evan Marriott for his class and quick wit? Does NBC’s upcoming Who Wants to Marry My Mom? sound like a good idea?

I feel assured that you responded, “No” to each question.

I also presume that you would answer the same when asked whether Animal House, Old School, and MTV’s Fraternity Life accurately portray your fraternity experience. Let’s face it: Reality television isn’t very real.

The problem is that people believe that these shows accurately portray fraternity life today. Unfortunately, the proper portrayals of fraternity life are not sufficiently sensational for mass media consumption. As a result, the general public accepts a parody of Greek life as truth. In a sense, it may be easy to accept these programs as just another negative media stereotype. However, Sigma Chi is not about passive victimization – we are about action!

We must help ourselves and be the ones to accurately and honorably represent our Fraternity to the outside world. We can do this by constantly and proudly living up to the obligations we took upon ourselves. We can do this by continuously representing ourselves and our Sigma Chi values as honorable and good citizens in our respective communities. We can do this by living up to our potential and reaching for our goals and not lowering ourselves to shoddy media portrayals.

We must respond with integrity and class to ensure that Sigma Chi and the ideals it represents are not tarnished by third-party representation. Represent yourself and our Fraternity well. Through your individual and brotherhood activities keep accomplishing incredible philanthropic feats. Keep raising your GPAs. Keep giving of yourself to others. Let’s take this as an opportunity to rededicate ourselves to the values and ideals we strive to embody. Rest assured you can count on me, as I will on you.

Godspeed and In hoc,
~Doug Carlson