View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Tom, you're right- it is definitely easier for a foreigner to get a job here than for an American to get one in the UK. I guess other countries are pickier??

I'll be living in the eastern region of Essex on the coast, about 2 hours north of London by train. It's a lot of rural, with little towns and villages scattered around.

As for the tax situation, from what I can find out, I would only pay US taxes if my income exceeded a certain amount. I'm not sure exactly what that amount is, but I was told that as a teacher, I'd definitely make under that threshold. A friend who just moved back from there was making 45K (pounds) a year, and he never paid US taxes.

I'll be living with a friend, and sharing expenses. From what we're working out, it will definitely be cheaper than living here by myself! Most of the bills are less than what I'm paying now, and I'd only be paying half.

Applying for the work Visa is expensive, though. $900. That's a pretty good sized chunk of change. My teaching certificate and driving license will be valid there, so that's two less things to have pay for immediately.

The job starts in September, so I *think* I have enough time to get everything done and applied for / passed through by then!!