View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't. Just don't.

You have friends in your sorority. It will affect your friendship if you quit. Stay for the sake of those friendships. You can't take it back once you quit. These friendships have the potential to be lifetime friendships. When I look at my FB feed, it's full of my sisters from when I was a collegian. We've been in each other's weddings. We are god mothers to each other's kids. We loved and supported one of our own while she had breast cancer. We grieved with another one of our own when her twin was killed in a car wreck. We've celebrated promotions and passing our professional licensing exams and lots of other stuff. We've been closer and farther apart at different times, but they are a constant in my life over the last 25 years. They know me and they know my history and they're the ones who have been there for the whole story of my life.

Right now, it is a huge time commitment. It's going to continue to be a huge time commitment. However, the mandatory part of this is experience is going to be over in 24 months or so. You have 2 more recruitment seasons and you're done. I know college seems like it's forever, but it's really over very quickly. Just do what you have to do and graduate. Once you have graduated, you can decide how much time to spend on your alumnae experience. You can decide how involved to be. If you want to walk away and not be involved, you can do that pretty much without penalty. If you want to stay very involved, you can do that. If you want to advise a chapter, you can. If you want to join an alumnae group, you can. Being an alum is a much less stressful experience.

24 months of hassle is worth it for a life time of sisterhood.