View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Should I initiate at a non-local college or try for alumnae initiation elsewhere?

I recently rushed (online) at my current college across the country. I got a bid, and was delighted. I have *not* yet been initiated in XYZ Sorority..

I had planned (and still hope) to move across the country for the spring semester to live on campus at my new campus. However, my family is currently dealing with a life or death health situation, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to move across the country. I'm not sure if I'll be a student at all next semester, and if I'm not, alumnae initiation would be a possibility for a non-student. There's a local alumnae group of the sorority (ABC Sorority).

I had inquired about alumnae initiation of ABC Sorority before rushing/starting at my college. They e-mailed me today with an application. I know alumnae initiation can be a long-shot. It's a local alumnae group of a different sorority than the on-campus sorority that offered me a bid.

I'm torn on what to do. Do I hope to move across the country in January and initiate at XYZ Sorority? Or do I, instead, try for alumnae initiation at local ABC Sorority? Both are Panhel groups, so I can't do both. I'm a non-traditional student, so I would fit in at an alumnae group age-wise and lifestyle-wise I think. I don't want to try for a long-shot with alumnae initiation if it's unlikely and not get to be a part of sorority. But I'm also not sure if it's realistic that I'll be able to move across the country to attend my college in January.

What would you do if you were me?

Last edited by newtotheu; 10-04-2021 at 03:20 PM.