View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy, Day Two

Today was going to be a short, more relaxed day since there were 4 party slots total. I could visit up to three, but assumed I'd never have a full schedule. Before I got my invitation, I hoped that I would see Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and/or The Scarlet Pimpernel.

My invitation read:
Lord of the Rings
Twelfth Night
The Scarlet Pimpernel

Ah, so it was official that The Mortal Instruments, A Tale of Two Cities, and The Hunger Games had cut me. But yay, I was going back to Lord of the Rings and Scarlet Pimpernel! I had kind of forgotten about Twelfth Night. I liked their philanthropy so I was glad to return to Twelfth Night, but they didn't really stand out to me as a sisterhood I'd like to join.

First Party: Lord of the Rings
I think it was nearly impossible for any sorority to stand out to me after how much I adored The Great Gatsby. But again, the girls of Lord of the Rings were as sweet as ever. This was a much quieter party than the others had been. I liked their philanthropy and the activities surrounded by it. One of the girls I talked to was absolutely 'adorkable'-- an adorable dork. She asked me if I had come up with a halloween costume! Haha I actually already had a fantastic flapper costume at home in case I would need it in college, so I told her about it. I mentioned my love for Great Gatsby (the book, not the sorority! What a disaster that would have been!).
I left this sorority a little unimpressed, but like I said. It was hard for any of them to stand out.

Second Party: Twelfth Night
I didn't know how I felt about this sorority. I knew a couple of sweet girls in it, but I just didn't get the feeling I fit in. Their philanthropy was meaningful to me. I don't know. I was pretty sure if Twelfth Night showed up on my bid card, I'd be fine with it. But I didn't love it....

Third Party: The Scarlet Pimpernel
I was happy to be invited back to Scarlet Pimpernel! They were my last party on the first day (when we visited every chapter), so I'll bet I wasn't too memorable. Their philanthropy also meant a lot to me. But again, they weren't really standing out to me....

It was time to rank. This was a disaster. It was hard to compare chapters from the day before with chapters from today. If a sorority didn't stand out to me, it was hard to decide whether I should 'cut' it or 'keep' it. I also regret to say that I was beginning to be influenced by peer pressure. I had heard the talk. I knew which chapters were popular and successful and which ones weren't as much. I don't think these rankings hurt me too much in the long run, but let's just say I should have thought longer before finalizing them.

1. Wuthering Heights
1. The Great Gatsby
1. Pride & Prejudice
1. Paper Towns
1. Harry Potter
1. The Scarlet Pimpernel
2. Hamlet
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Twelfth Night
5. Catcher in the Rye

In bold, I have marked the mistakes I think I made. That night, my gamma chi said we should research our remaining chapters. Learn about their history and founding, that sort of thing. This gave me time to think about what I wanted from a sorority in the long run. Through this process, I realized I should have cut Paper Towns (I only ranked them higher because of their philanthropy and popularity!), and I should have kept Lord of the Rings or at least ranked them higher than Hamlet. I liked the girls in Lord of the Rings better! Ugh, it was kind of a mess and I was nervous for Skit Round. But I knew everything would be just fine.

Up next (later tonight, hopefully): Skits!