View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Catastrophic thinking -- you are fortunate that you can recognize it. Very insightful. The above comments are very good advice. Keep in mind:

1) Do you get anxious when you shop? You probably don't. But remember, depending on your school, joining a sorority can range from being not cheap to being very, very expensive. The sororities are trying to sell themselves to you and you are trying to sell yourself to them. There are only so many people that can afford the cost to join and maintain active membership. And no sorority gets every PNM they want - you and they will get rejected by someone. A fact that no amount of worrying can change.

2) While an undergrad, I noticed many differences among the sororities on my campus. One year later, I attended grad school at a different university and noticed very few differences among the sororities on my new campus. Not saying all sororities are the same, but they are more similar than different. Think of them like buying a new car - they may seem different. Some may be more stylish and flashy but, in reality, any will get you where you want to go.

3) Having friends in multiple sororities to vouch for you gives you great advantage. As in life (and you will learn this when looking for employment), now is the time to call in all favors with your friends. If you are interested in joining a sorority where your friends are members - be sure to tell them you are interested in joining. Contact them now. Take them out to lunch now. Don't make it a secret that you are interested in joining. Remember that you can be interested in other sororities besides the ones that your friends belong to -- keep your options open. (see 4 below)

4) Go to the sorority recruitment section in Greek Chat and read every post (at least in the sticky section). Collectively, they have written a unique book on how to successfully participate in sorority rush. Follow their advice and you will be more prepared. Having this knowledge should lessen the anxiety.

5) It's okay to be a bit nervous. Anyone would be, unless they are a sociopath.

Good luck.

Last edited by PhilTau; 05-25-2017 at 01:41 AM.