View Single Post
Old 06-15-2002, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation What's the big deal?

Personnally, I do not see the big deal concerning the Boule'. It seems to me to be a situation where people want to join because it signifies some kind of status in the black community. Many may argue that it is the same way with the "Pan" orgs, but one thing that seperates the Boule' is that membership is truely an elitist priviledge, only by invitation with no smokers, interest meetings, or any opportunity for the public at large to join. This seems to heighten the interest in the group. You cannot possibly know the workings of the Boule' without having an interest in it, because they do no publicize their workings or philanthropies. Any claims to be a community serviced based org. are discredited when the membership is only extended to certain "types" of people (or people who have reached a certain "level of success" in a "professional" field, in other words, rich!!!). This is the elitism that has plagued the "pan" for years but was only speculative at best, while this elitism is verifiable through the Boule'. I am not one to say that any group cannot discriminate in its membership, but when you base membershhip on the criterion of financial success, I often wonder what real purpose can you serve the black community. How much of the black community can afford to be members? Your career success and financial standing are no commentary on nor indication of your moral character, if indeed moral character is something that they consider when extending membership. I read several posts on the message board of the Boule' website, and one post seemed to sum up the whole Boule' ideal when a man, who I guess was trying to become a member, states in a closing remark "...continue to aspire to the high ideals of success, prosperity, and blessings." High ideals of success, prosperity and blessings? Where are the manly deeds, self sacrifice, service, righteousness, brotherly love, and all other altruistic themes that characterize fraternity? It seems to me that the boule' is a bunch of financially succesful men who relish in the power that they have to discriminate on that basis, and to have people panting after inclusion into this group. The black community does not need a "country club" mentality from the "talented tenth" of the black community. The Boule' to me is nothing more than a glorified status symbol, devoid of much true worth to the black community.

And I will probably start another thread concerning Brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha wanting to be in this group. WHY?????!!!!!!
Blackwatch!!!

Last edited by Blackwatch; 06-15-2002 at 11:41 AM.