View Single Post
Old 04-30-2023, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Currently I’m an industrial design professor — I teach product design. I’m also a freelance industrial designer with an emphasis on automotive styling.

Worst job was the summer of my senior year in college. I worked at a party rental company that a friend of my dad’s had just opened up. It was terrible because sometimes I’d work from 7am until midnight, but then I’d get 3-4 days off (that was nice). The owner paid a lot more than most summer jobs were paying at the time so I couldn’t pass it up. The overtime was great, but the work sucked big time. I had to set up party tents, I had to use a big mallet to drive the metal stakes into the ground to hold the tents down, load, unload, and set up tables and chairs, drywall, etc. and it was crazy hot outside too.

What made it even worse is he only had a few people working for him (the reason for the long hours) and everyone except for the owner and I had a suspended drivers license so he made me be the driver. One time we loaded too many tables in the truck so when I turned the corner in an intersection, I didn’t think about all the weight in the back so the truck felt like it was going to tip… me and the passenger sitting next to me both yelled “Whoooooaaa!!”

I remember one guy who was working there was on house arrest so he could only work a few hours per day. It was a hot mess there. The pay was great for a college student though.