View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Regarding the bolded text, it really saddens me to read this even though it doesn't look like you want to go into this topic (you can PM me if you wish), but I'm curious as to why you would feel such a way. Your heritage and history (not just in America, but in the African diaspora) should inspire, motivate, and uplift you, not make you feel as if you can't embrace diversity or other cultures. You learned what you learned about Black peoples because you needed to and you probably need to know more, regardless of how and where you grew up. I moved around a lot as a child so I've lived in Black, mixed, and predominently White communities. I've lived among the lower, middle, and upper middle classes and never once did I want NOT to know my history. I feel that this is the major problem in the Black community right now, from which all other problems stem. It's so important for our people and our children especially, to know who they are and from whence they came. If you truly know WHO you are (and I'm not talking about any militant type thinking), you will be more than comfortable in embracing people of all races and cultures because you will not be so insecure and envious of others. It is because of what I know about myself that I can feel free to embrace anyone despite the many incidents I've had fighting racism in the various communities in which I've lived. Yes, ignorance is bliss but it doesn't solve anything. Knowledge of self is the key, not the problem.
veyr excellent point which is why we all regardless of our affiliations need to make sure we take care of HOME first...we have to show that there are positive role models as opposed to what they are fed thru the media...off on a tangent...it hurts everytime I hear about a hazing incident because kids coming into college...that's all they know...and thats the first question they ask and stya hemmed on when they want to join....I hate it when I don't hear positive stories, like XYZ org gave X amount of dollars in scholarships...but them we live in a time when if it ain't bad news it won't make news....we have to be the facilitators of change and upliftment so that others can see where we are going and if so, choose to continue positive change.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”