View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I understand your point but I guess the easiest way to respond would be to say that people like to help the communities in which they live or grew up in, especially if that community is in dire need of assistance. The community in which I grew up in for example, is in great need so I am always thinking of the people there when it comes to planning service projects and volunteering my time. Now if there are Whites, Latinos, and others who are now living there also and they are around when we are serving others, we wouldn't even think about turning them away just because they're not Black.
OK, I better see where you're coming from; I guess it's just that throughout my childhood I lived in an integrated neighborhood, went to an integrated high school (that was originally--as well as now currently a predominately Black high school--it was integrated from 1982-96).

My point is that when I grew up, while I dealt with my share of bigots and racists, for the most part everyone got along with everyone. I didn't even know about the sociological problems involving Black people until high school--which was beginning the whole Africentric movement that looking back, I wish in some respects I didn't learn about. But I digress.

I am highly pro-diversity (not tokenism, but true diversity), hence my posts in the caliber they were presented.