Thread: LSAT's
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
You don't think it matters if you want to be a public defender in Grand Rapids? Absolutely, there are some Cooley grads who make it. But your odds are a whole lot better coming out of UM, Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. This isn't something that only affects hopefuls for big firms in NY and DC.
Perhaps its a regional thing, but where I am, unless someone is looking for a federal appellate clerkship or to go to New York, Washington or Atlanta or join one of the major regional firms, no, it really doesn't matter all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Further, being a preeminent scholar in your field does not equate to being a good professor.
Amen to that! I had a number of professors who "wrote the book." Some were great, others not so much. And having litigated against law professors, I'll add that being an acknowledged scholar in your field doesn't equate to being any good as an advocate for your client.

Quote:
All that said, what you learn in law school, maybe aside from research habits, has basically nothing to do with the actual practice of law. You leave with a basic understanding of common concepts in the law, how to use and interpret statutes and regs and constitutional principals, but very little idea on how to get a case to trial, or even how to use a PACER account. Judges nor juries GAS where you went to school. Employers might at the entry level, but that's really about it. Unless you're wanting to practice biglaw or be a clerk to someone on a circuit court, a T4 or T3 school may actually be a better degree program for what you want to do.
This.