View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
My guess - Rush Week is stressful, Rusher thinks "We don't like this kid anyway - let's have some fun!" "Hey kid! Would you rather perform oral sex on your father or your mother - and how does this choice embody the ideals of our fraternity?"

Just a guess, but I think they're just messing with you because they're not interested, try to find a group that's better for you next semester.
Unfortunately this is exactly how I get a read on it too. I do not think they would ask that question to somebody they are seriously considering...it is more likely that they asked it as a joke because they were bored at rush and did not feel like you fit in. It's rude and immature, but I think you should understand what they meant by it.

In addition, the "you were on the line and people didn't get a chance to know you" could be a polite way of saying they weren't interested...nobody is going to say, "nobody in our chapter thought that you fit."

I would spend the time before next rush getting to know each of the chapters better so you have a solid idea of where you would fit, and not just where you "want" to think you fit. Sometimes I think that fraternity rushees are not honest with themselves about where they will actually fit in.

In addition, you mentioned talking about your accomplishments...I think this may have had something to do with it. From what I understand from brothers, cousins, friends, ex-boyfriends, etc. things like GPA and leadership positions do not ever come into play during rush for most fraternities. (I think the exception would probably be varsity sports). I think that most fraternities are much more interested in if your personality and interests match theirs. I'd try talking about things that are common interests among many fraternity guys...college football, cute celebrity girls, investing and the economy, Entourage, etc. If you talked mostly about accomplishments, you may have come off as pretentious, boring or "dorky".

Good luck! I think fraternity rush seems stressful...there is more rejection in sorority rush, but at least PNMs get to look at ALL chapters instead of just blindly choosing one or two to rush.