View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
The facts behind all this have not been disclosed. So these moms have a right to be pissed off. Keep in mind that several years of membership in this organization represents a significant financial investment totaling thousands of dollars-- dues, initiation fees, house charges, fines, assessments, clothes, etc. At the very least, they deserve from the national organization an accurate explanation of what happened. The people most damaged are the newest members, who joined without knowing that the chapter was about to end.
I disagree strongly with your opinion.

The moms don't have any "rights" to be anything here, nor do they "deserve an accurate explanation of what happened" because that is chapter business. 18 is the legal age of majority in Indiana. That means at that age, a person is considered to be an adult, regardless of who is footing the bill, period. Parents may be paying dues (or what have you); however, that does not entitle them to know any of the private workings of a private organization. Universities don't discuss students with their parents. There's no "right to know" based on dollars spent. End of discussion.

As for your assertion that "the facts behind all this have not been disclosed", I ask you: why should Tri Delta or any other private membership organization have any obligation to make disciplinary matters public? Membership is voluntary. It comes with significant responsibilities and obligations. No one in any chapter is being held hostage, to the best of my knowledge.

Further, I don't see it reported anywhere that the actives have lost their membership in Tri Delta. The new members have been released, not having been initiated.