View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
I ran the internship/entry-level hire program at my large media company for about five years, so I'm familiar with recruiting journalism grads (I've been at Columbia's J-school job fair every year, actually). I will say that I, along with every other hiring manager I know in the industry, strongly strongly prefer job experience over a J-school degree. Journalism is one of those things where practical experience really trumps education. I recruit from top J-schools (Columbia, Mizzou, Medill, etc.) and have consistently found that J-school grads are significantly less prepared to enter the industry than people who interned/worked an entry-level job instead.

I feel strongly that an advanced degree in journalism is a waste of money. The people I know and mentor who went to J-school had an equally difficult time finding jobs as people with a bachelor's degree -- often MORE difficult because employers assume they will be more expensive -- and are heavily burdened with debt that they're unable to pay off. I'm not at all one of those people who think journalism is dead, but the fact remains that jobs can be hard to find and often don't pay well, or aren't full-time.

Take with a grain of salt -- I don't know much at all about photojournalism, and I went to the best state school I could attend for free and then swore I'd never step foot in a classroom again…but I think you'd be better off with practical work experience.
That's what was sitting in the back of my head as I pondered this whole thing. It's the game that's played that irritates me. Employers post jobs that ask for a degree but WE ALL KNOW it's what's in the PORTFOLIO that matters. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
ETA: NP, have you considered getting a MFA (Master of Fine Arts)? This degree may give you a bit more career flexibility than just a photojournalism degree.
Soror, When I finish, my undergrad degree will be a BFA in Documentary/ Photojournalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
If you're considering Photo Journalism, give Western Kentucky University a look. Not sure that some of the schools you listed are really known for photo.

The only time your really need more degrees in journalism is if you want to teach at the collegiate level. You don't really need it for career advancement. But if you want the degree for intrinsic reasons, then go for it.
Thanks. I was considering NYC/east coast schools because the industry is there (LA & San Francisco out here in the West).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Ditto to not needing to go to journalism school - got the same advice when I was at NYU that Rashid mentioned when I was in UG.

But, I know someone who did attend Columbia's program (I think they were originally interested in medicine) and now works for CNN doing some science reporting. So maybe it can help with connections.

I don't know much about photojournalism in particular. Have you considered CUNY for their graduate program? I dont think they offer much more in you field than Columbia does but name recognition wont hurt. It seems like CUNYs coursework is very NYC-specific. Don't know if that's a plus for you.

On another note, let me shout out my alma mater, NYU Gallatin - perhaps you can create your own concentration in photojournalism (between Tisch Photography and Imaging and CAS Journalism programs)?

Also, I can connect you to a Soror who did CUNYs program, if interested.
Thank you Soror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
You know I say this with all due respect, seriously:

HOWEVER,

I think that because of your topsy-turvy path toward completing school, I think you would be well served getting advanced study in journalism, if not for the technical reasons and portfolio building, but because you truly need a strong cohort around you and strong connections in the field.

I advocate Howard so you can be close to me and because I know you would enjoy the HBCU experience again. And because I think it's about time Howard had a Pulitzer prize-winning photojournalist called NinjaPoodle.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
It seems that (Soror) NP has worked in the field for a number of years, or least has done some related work as a hobby?
Soror, not as a hobby. My work has been freelance. Last year I was hired to a local news paper but that fizzled out. I know networking is the way to go but I also wanted to see what other ways I could further my career.