View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
So, there are 2 issues you have going on here: So folks join as undergraduates when all they have is classes and school. Maybe they are active in their Student Unions and few other activities, but not "entrenched" in activities like that of being in a GLO.

The there are some members who join at the graduate level where they have started establishing their professional networks or other organizations that they are a part of and then kindly extended an invitation for membership to a NPHC organization and chose to pursue it. At the graduate level, the discussion of time management is not well described.

My issue is that SOME graduate members join without any concept of the time or monetary commitment because those kinds of things are not "firmly expressed" when members are inducted. Not to say that it is easy... No, just not firmly expressed as much as it ought to be.

Personally, IMHO, I think that folks should have a minimum community service hours requirement before, during and perpetually for membership. I know that the university I work for is considering a community service hour requirement to graduate...

As far as frustration within the organization: Well, my membership process--skrait out Pledge process--was hard, I narry got a long with my "co-initiatiates" (linesisters) ( ). So, essentially, I had to deal with it...

But the way it is now, I can see why folks are frustrated. It is like a marriage, communication is key. That is why we tell folks to do their research that when they are extended an invitation to join and pursue membership, then there are no surprises. In excellent, award winning chapters, it is like that, but in other requiring audits and under probation chapters it is not. That is the reality.

We all have to make a effort to help each other achieve the dreams of our founders. The reasons for the start of each of our GLO's are uniquely woven into the African American experience, just like a huge quilt and we must make sure this fabric does not fray...

So, what I am saying is: since the experiences of many African Americans has been lacking that still does not mean we fail the fight the good fight and quit. Sometimes we just have to show some Affirmative Action for our own folks and take in a less than stellar person to mold them into our Founder's vision. (That is what a Big Brother/Sister does).

One way to do it is require attendance to all functions prior to membership. Mentorship with Golden/Diamond members. Allow interests to assist in the planning and implementation of some public programs at the graduate level. Etc.

Not all chapters do that. Most that I have seen in my area, like to look cute... And we are talking GRADUATES/ALUMNI--undergrads are trying to graduate...
You are saying a whole lot right here. A whole lot.