View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
But...a lot of times, someone who wants to pledge an NPHC group will come here and start asking questions and people hush her up and tell her she's being grossly indiscreet. Some have expressed major frustration because they feel blocked out because they're not "in the know" from families or friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
The reason people tell interests to get off of the net and go to the source, is because for the most part, our information isn't that hard to find. Our national (and local) websites tell you what you need in order to qualify for membership, and that even if you do qualify, you still need a majority vote from the chapter. That's not secret. Any further information that one needs to know involves them going to an informational/rush where it is presented to them. While some are invite only, many of those are open to the public.
If one is interested, they will go to the local chapters functions and meet members (UG or Alum). Sitting on a computer will not help an interest get where they want to be. I cannot answer questions about a chapter in the middle of Hawaii beyond what is already on our national website. They need to research.
"Membership selection is private" is not the same statement as "Discretion is key."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
OK, I admit I am lane swerving, but I am sort of with Sen in that I am more than ready for some transparency here. As a relatively recent alumnus, I have to say that sorority members, particularly right after they graduate, are far more open to talking about membership selection, operations, even rituals than GC'ers are. And most of the stuff is petty, but sometimes where there is smoke, there is fire, so I'll go ahead and say it.

ETA: The discussion of this procedure happened at a brunch where a friend of mine mentioned she had done it for a girl we all knew who had done discriminatory things in the past that her collegiate chapter was unaware of, and another friend who had led her house in rush verified she saw the same thing happened in her own sorority. Just for clarity. One was at my school, the other was not. Friends were from high school.

Second ETA: This honestly also lines up very closely with what the collegians had to say in the piece, and even makes sense if the advisers were "sticking to procedure regarding recommendations" in terms of some of the adviser quotes.
I agree and have had similar real-life conversations with NPC alumnae and collegians.

lol.... y'all think the GC opinion is the prevailing one....