View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
This.

I went to what we could safely class as an "inner city" public high school in a major metro area. We constantly (as in two to three times a year) had hour long free info-mercial style presentations, in class, only from for-profit institutions. The reps went on and on about how traditional colleges "waste your time" with classes you don't need.

It annoyed me then, and it infuriates me now. Traditional colleges got a table in the library, no announcements of their presence, and no hall passes to go and talk to them.

What sort of message are we sending to those students? The message I got as a 17/18 year old was "You're not bright enough for real college" or "This is your only option" or "They'll never accept you". Despite the fact that a number of my peers went to Northwestern, the Air Force Academy, Gonzaga, Pitt, PSU, and a slew of other great SLACs...we only were able to do that by doing our own research, no advising help (Advisers were always available to send you to the military recruiters though.)

Ugh. Sorry. Major thread hijack.
Word! And...she's from Pittsburgh

These schools are notorious for preying on the poor. Just call off work one day and watch all the commercials on daytime TV. Get your Associates for only $40,000 and enter the workforce making $9/hr.

/hijack