View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
New Mexico State University has de-recognized and closed the campus chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Several recent incidents, including alleged underage drinking, damage to the house, etc., contributed to the closure. An appeal is expected. According to the article in the Saturday, October 27 online issue of the Las Cruces paper, one question is whether the entire chapter should have been sanctioned, or whether sanctions should have been applied to individuals instead:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_7295346

Brief excerpts:

Scott Moore, dean of students, said the charter was revoked Thursday and the fraternity members living in the "Greek Row" home on the NMSU campus would be moved out.

The fraternity said it would appeal.

. . . Brandon Weghorst, an SAE spokesman for the national headquarters near Chicago, said he has encouraged local members to appeal.

. . . Weghorst said individuals should have been held accountable rather than sanctioning the entire chapter.

He did not know if any action would be taken against certain members. Weghorst said that would be determined following the national organization's own investigation. . . . .

I was wondering when this was going to happen, a buddy of mine is SAE and just so happened to pledge their, he'd tell me stories about how their was basically no control over anything. Also I guess New Mexico has no state laws on hazing, is that correct if anyone knows?

In Hoc
"George Bush"