View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

The official GC Librarians and Library Schools Thread

...because we aren't all cardigan-wearing, bun-sporting shushers.

So I've been playing in this park for a while, and have noticed that there are at LEAST two of us on here who are librarians, and more who are interested in library school, working in libraries, or thinking about going to library school.

Archivists, you can play too.

This thread is for anybody who is or wants to be a librarian or archivist, share your advice, questions, anything here.

About me: I hold a Master of Library Science from the University of Pittsburgh School of Information Sciences, which I believe is the oldest library school in the nation, celebrating its centennial in 2001. I specialized in public library services to children and young adults. Pitt only requires 4 courses: Cataloging, Understanding Information, Library Management (depending on your specialty), and Retrieving Information. The rest of your coursework is your choice, and can include an internship or field study, which I HIGHLY recommend. If you attend full-time, you can finish your degree in a calendar year. For distance learning, Pitt has started their FastTrack MLIS program.

I'll provide the ever-important link to the American Library Association, and the librarian's slogan: Got questions?