View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin View Post
ChioLu,

I will also be rushing for the second time (as a sophomore) and was wondering if you know whether any of the UCLA sororities have a "cut once, cut always" policy. I just want to know if my options are limited from the start!
While I can't / won't comment about every chapters' policies, I have seen many upperclassman go through for a second time and get invitations to houses they had previously had not been asked back to the year prior. UCLA is a different animal species among all recruitments across the country. Very laid-back. I used to say, it was so laid-back it was horizontal.

Go through recruitment. Be your best self. Go to YouTube and look up "how to Rush a sorority". You'll find lots of videos to review on pretty much every topic on the board. If you're happy you got an invitation back to a certain chapter -- without gushing -- tell them you're excited / happy to be at that chapter. Especially if you feel like it could be your home. Tell your friends that are current members that you were looking forward to going through recruitment. And one other thing: be open minded. If they see something that you haven't seen in them, then you may have just not met "your people" yet.

From the last several years, upper-class quota has been about one third of the total quota for new members. So, for example if quota is 60, then upper-class quota will be about 20. And there are 12 chapters, so it'll be around 240 upper-class women getting invitations. These are low numbers because UCLA recruitment is drawing more women every year which will increase total. It also does not take into account quota additions.

If you got into UCLA, they have a 90% rejection rate. This stat is from the dean of admissions who I've known for a many years. If you got into UCLA, you are exceptional. While you'll be in recruitment with many other exceptional women, go in with the confidence, but not overconfidence, reminding yourself of that.

Last edited by ChioLu; 09-13-2016 at 03:14 PM.