View Single Post
Old 05-06-2002, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I saw the show. I think it has the potential to be devistating for that chapter, and was terrible for fraternities as a whole.

I do agree that it was done very well -- as you would expect from TLC/Discovery.

Thank goodness it wasn't produced by MTV.
Delt - the UW chapter was closed as a result of one of the pledges in the young man's class committing suicide as a result of hell week.

I still think this really put a bad spin on what Initiation or Ritual is in a fraternity - this guy did NOT tell the truth - he talked about the hazing of hell week, and I am sure DKE's Ritual is not what was shown on the program....just the "build up" (which it really wasn't) to the actual initiation ceremony....my guess is that if they did go through the initiation ceremony following the previous event's of hell week - the point of the ritual was completely LOST on this class. (1) - All the guy could talk about was about the hazing activities, and (2) someone committed suicide as a result as well.

This isn't a wake up call for DKE, but for all Greeks, again - the media presenting the typical negative stereotype of the minority of chapters/individuals - let's face it, the bad things a few of us do will always get more ratings that the good and positives the vast majority do.