View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfury44 View Post
Hi everyone,
I rushed a sorority my freshman year of college (spring recruitment. I rushed in January and was initiated in February). I transferred schools that following semester. I'm now a junior in college. At my new school, I've joined multiple clubs and organizations and have reached out to many people, and while I am friendly with students, I am really, really looking for a group of friends and a Greek community to contribute to (like what I experienced the spring of my freshman year). I'm pretty desperate for more friends. The sorority I am a member of is NOT on my current campus. I know that according to to NPC rules, once you are a member of a NPC sorority, you are never allowed to rush again. However, I really want to make new friends and am worried I'll graduate without a great network of girls. Greek Life is fairly popular at my school, and I've asked the Director of Greek Life/ NPC Nationals/ Panhellenic Board, but I've heard that membership for life is really strict. Is there any way to get around this? Would I get caught if I rushed a new sorority?
Thanks in advance for your help!
You mention joining many, many orgs where you are, and yet it appears you are not finding enough close, true friends. Friendship isn't about quantity, it's quality. No one joins a sorority with 150 other young women in her pledge class to make best friends with every single one of those 150 new members.

Slow down your rush to join even more orgs and take time to enjoy closer friendships with people you already know. This should include members of an alumnae group of your sorority.

As you have found out, having 200 friendly acquaintances after joining multiple clubs means nothing if none of them are true close friends who will accept your midnight phone call after your sudden car accident.