View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 05:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Sororitysock- I haven't heard this term in DECADES!!! I asked around to several of my American friends through Facebook, and most of them had either never heard it, or hadn't heard it in so long that they had forgotten it even existed.

It makes me wonder if the girls had ever heard the term before, or even had an inkling of what it meant. Would it even occur to them to research the origin of the term? Did they think it was something along the lines of Brass Monkey? And if the person registering the teams in the Greek Life office for the event was a student on work-study, she had probably never heard of it either.

I'm not sure that immediately castigating these kids before an investigation has occurred is entirely fair. I am interested in finding out more about this entire situation before jumping on the girls. But too, I am always being Devil's advocate. I think it's just very sad that these girls' reputations, and their sorority's reputation, has been damaged by something so preventable as picking a benign name for a team! Use your sorority's mascot, or something related to your sorority, as the team name.

This situation was sooooooooooo avoidable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
I'm a grown ass adult who has been around a bit and lived in many places. At the risk of sounding hopelessly naive, I have never heard this particular racist term before. If something including this term had come my way for approval, I wouldn't have known any better. So, I've learned a valuable lesson to check out all terms online before approving anything in the future. But it also makes me wonder if those involved understood what the term meant.

However, Alpha Phi's failure to address this issue (again) is inexcusable. I am in full agreement with others here that something is very broken there, and they don't seem to give a flying fuck about it as long as they remain the hot girls.