View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittleclueless View Post
In the smaller, "less competitive" schools we visited, it seems that the process is more mutually selective and the PNMs have a say in the matter. Whereas in the "competitive" SEC school my daughter has ultimately chosen, there seem to be a couple of sororities that exist to take the girls who are cut from the other sororities. As we prepare to go through recruitment next year, I think it just creates a different vibe, and it gives PNMs the mindset that they have little or no control over where they'll land, even if they are legacies.
I do not believe it was any more mutually selective at my daughter's school. And with recruitment being just three rounds (4 parties, Max 3, then two for pref) It was a pretty fast paced and the first round cuts were deep by two sororities. And you also ranked 1-4 from day one. As an outsider I think that makes girls focus on their "top" choice their first day. I would like it to be ranking 1,1,1 and 2 on day one and 1,1 and 2 on day two. But I'm not a RFM expert - but I suspect there is a reason why they rank 1-4 beginning on day one - and I bet that helps refine list size even more. Most of the people my daughter talked with did not have 3 parties the second round. Most had two. So right there that kills the myth of mutual selection - if you don't have a full party list.

And at SEC schools I don't think you can say that there are sororities that 'exist to take girls who are cut from other sororities.' They exist for their sisterhood. It is determined that whatever greek system it is- can support X number of sororities based on the number of girls going through recruitment. Girls need to be open to all options and not just focus on the "popular" ones. And part of this is all greek woman need to support all chapters. It's fine to compete at greek week and other competitions - but in general campus life you should NEVER utter a negative comment about another GLO.