View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Correction. They have to answer to the college.

If the college gets a burr up their butt and decides that ABC has done something wrong, whether they have or not, they can kick them off campus. ABC has no national group to go to, no national alumnae, no recourse unless they have lots of rich alums who donate a lot and threaten to withhold donations.

Exactly. Our charter is held by the college. While it means that we may not be disbanded for low numbers, we can still be disbanded really at the university's whim. Most infractions are dealt with through Greek Governance, but the university can and has overridden UGGB decisions (made punishments more severe).

Quote:
it never ceases to amaze me that colleges that will not allow national greek organizations who have guidelines, rules and consequences and local advisors, will allow local groups who answer to no one.
and it never ceases to amaze me that national greek organizations have these rules and still violate them.

The reason we are here is that our clubs are very tightly tied to the history of our college. Our members are literally the founding pillars of Otterbein. We take our traditions and our responsibility very seriously. To say that we answer to no one is wrong, we answer to a very long list of Panhellenic alumns, our own exec boards, advisors, college admin, and Greek admin. We have plenty to lose, not the least of which is the trust and respect of our alumni (who can also chose to disband us).

And to be honest, if we DID import national orgs to replace our groups, I think membership would die out due to the cost and the lack of alumn support here. Our Alumni come back to their fraternities and their sororities and sing the same chants, with the same letters, year after year. We have a picture of a 103 year old founding sister in our house. The history of Tau Delta is there, and it has been for 85+ years, and it will remain there for another 85+ years, with its own governance, because our sorority and our Greek system can stand alone as it has since before we were Greek lettered.