View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
There are a lot of things about this system that appeal to me.

Since they are having trouble with the current goals, why do you think they aren't lowering total? Do you think lowering total would encourage more groups to reach total or would fewer girls pledge?
In order for many of the houses to be financially sound, they need to fill the house. For example, when I was in school total was 105 and 56 had to live in the house. Once you backed out the pledges, girls studying abroad or on coops, and in-town girls, if your lowered quota a chapter couldn't fill the house and could go under.

Also, so many girls suicided in the past few years and went bidless. I can't remember how many this happened to last year, but it was unbelievably high. One of the "strongest" chapters (ABC) only took around 14 (gasp!) new members, but then snapped enough for total.

I'm not really involved in the campus panhellenic to know why the suiciding occured. Forever, there were two chapters (ABC and XYZ) that always fought over the same girls (waaay back to when I was in school). From what I was told, last year many of the girls that attended both parties did suicide XYZ, and also preffed ABC. And a only a rumor too, XYZ dirty rushed.

I know of at least one long time chapter that was very strong when I was in school has been struggling for a while because of a Probation. One active in a fraternity told me it was for a "kegger" (I'm sure at least some of it was true because why would he lie to me?)