View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That sounds awfully like "non-Southern girls shouldn't even bother trying Southern rush." What about the girl who isn't social climbing, who in fact has no intention of being in that area one minute past graduation, but who while she is a student would like to have as many experiences as possible, with a sorority being one of them?
That's an entirely different story and those of us in the South know the difference.

The social climbers are painfully obvious and most have known the social climbing moms for years. I hear the term "old" and "new" a lot where I live. "Old money" vs. "new money". Or "old guard" vs. "newcomers". The new folks are obsessed with getting into the right clubs, joining the right committees, being invited to the right parties. The old folks just end up there. (Case in point, the "desirable" committee at a club... the current members propose incoming members and never think to appoint someone not in their circle... but the new money gal will scheme and plot and beg to get on that committee thinking it will make her friends with the old guard.)

In your case, the interested in being involved types don't usually care that they are on the "right" committee or going to the "right" event. They just want to meet people and contribute. Ironically, those ladies often end up in the old circles because they aren't trying... but they don't really care. It drives the new climbers crazy too.