View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Actually "recruiting" people would be fabulous if there were no huge houses to fill...but this guy has obviously never seen a (for example) water bill for a housing facility that holds 50 people. If we ever get to the point where students are outright refusing to live in communal Greek housing, maybe this will work.

But even without the housing factor, completely jettisoning formal rush is a terrible idea for many reasons:

-Not everyone is comfortable just showing up at a dinner or social event with a bunch of people they don't know. Rushing is a lot easier when you're not the only one doing it.
-A true "recruitment only" system would put pressure on chapters even more than there is now to get the "best on paper" rushees. The human connection element would decrease until GLOs were just another club for your resume.
-Formal rush forces rushees to look at all the groups instead of just the largest and most popular ones. I know it's different for boys and girls, but a nonstructured rush with 1st semester freshmen eligible for bids was a hot mess on my campus. The girls who didn't get the bid they wanted didn't say "well, I'll try somewhere else because the girls I met at XYZ were nice too." They were more likely to say "forget Greek life."

Finally the alcohol angle is stupid. I'm old enough to remember wet fraternity rush and I'm honestly surprised they got anything done. Half the brothers spent the time talking to girls, and many of the "rushees" were only there for the free beer and food.
I'm decently outgoing, and even I can say that if I had to randomly show up to a "casual" event with no structure and the whole chapter to meet, I would have panicked. I think it would definitely increase the amount of "dirty rushing" (though that's only applicable to us women, I guess), too- the free for all approach was ended for a reason....

That was my other question- would college kids not just flock to it for the free beer and food and then leave once it is acquired?

We are moving from formally structured recruitment to partially structured on our campus, and I'm hoping that it gives PNMs more flexibility (making it easier for them to come out) without being super overwhelming. I am thinking that this article was taking the "freedom" of male recruitment and running with it?