View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

UPDATE!!
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/23/phi...irl/index.html

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Erica Pratt, the 7-year-old girl abducted from a city street one day ago, has been found alive, police said Tuesday evening.

Witnesses said the girl was kidnapped -- kicking and screaming -- from a street corner Monday night.

Police said earlier they were looking for 29-year-old James Burnes and 23-year-old Edward Johnson.

"We believe these two individuals have information that can possibly shed light on the subject of her whereabouts and the circumstances surrounding her abduction," said Philadelphia Police Inspector William Colarulo.

He said investigators believe the two men are known by Erica's family and others in the neighborhood. Colarulo said anyone with information should call the FBI or local tip hotline.

The chief said the Monday night abduction did not appear to be random and that investigators believe the motive was money.

Colarulo said Erica apparently was the target, because the 5-year-old she was walking with at the time was not taken. The inspector would not comment on reports the kidnapping might have been gang-related.

Twenty minutes after the abduction, the girl's grandmother Barbara Pratt, 45, began receiving calls threatening the girl's life and demanding $150,000 in ransom money, Colarulo said. Erica lived with the grandmother.

Erica talked with her grandmother during one of the calls, police said.

Colarulo said a $10,000 reward for information leading to Erica's safe return has been posted by police. Police have a special hostage negotiation team on stand-by if needed, he said.

Several people besides the playmate witnessed the apparent abduction, Colarulo said.

Some said two men were in a white car, possibly a Buick, with tinted windows and a broken latch over the gas tank. Erica was just a few feet from her home when she was grabbed, police said.

"The 5-year-old witness said a heavy-set male wearing a white T-shirt -- he had a very large stomach, very heavy-set -- and a baseball cap got out and grabbed the 7-year-old and carried her into the car," Colarulo said.

Colarulo said the car was driven by another man who was shouting, "Come on, let's get out of here."

Erica's mother, Serina Gillis, said at least one of the men called out the girl's name.

Gillis told her daughter, "If you're watching me, I love you and I hope to see you as soon as possible."

Colarulo said police were unsure of the whereabouts of the girl's father. He said the FBI was assisting with technical support and some advanced investigative capabilities.

A neighborhood pastor, Stacy Adams, said he knew Erica, calling her "a really sweet girl" who was "very kind-hearted and respectful."