View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2get-n View Post
I have already became a Mason but the amount of division that is in Masonry has really turned me off of the organization.
Don't know what you mean by division. But there is typically a lot of disagreement in male social fraternities as well. Keep in mind that these organizations are for college kids. I have only heard about special situations where college professors who are/were a long-time faculty adviser to a chapter sometimes being initiated. But for the situation you describe for yourself - no I would not encourage you to seek such membership.

From what I've seen (from a distance), joining the Masons is pretty darn close to the male social fraternity experience. Years ago, I had to drive past the Masonic Lodge in downtown Dallas, Texas each Saturday and Sunday. I saw their new (and mostly middle-aged) members standing in a line in the parking lot doing all kinds of weird stuff at the direction of what appeared to be (in fraternity lingo) a pledge trainer. I would always immediately flash back to my college experience as a lowly fraternity pledge.

Edit to add: I guess I should have completely read your question. There are a lot of fraternal organizations out there that may not have the same type of limitations that college fraternities have (or they may have more). Suggest you start your search here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...l_fraternities

Last edited by PhilTau; 11-29-2017 at 02:50 PM.