View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post

I've written them before. Girls with really poor GPAs. I've given the reasons for the poor performance, but I didn't recommend them for membership. I'm not the last word so the chapter can do what they will with the information I provide. I didn't find it compelling to excuse the grade issue, but with a relationship made during recruitment, that information may be enough to get the woman a pass. Honestly, that's what my rec is for anyway, to give my chapter information they can use when making a decision.

I think giving the chapter information regarding extenuating circumstances that may have negatively influenced the GPA is helpful to the chapter (a PNM might even receive some accommodations from the school for a learning disability). I would imagine, however, that a no rec would likely eliminate the PNM from consideration (assuming the chapter needs a recommendation for membership).

Otherwise, the GPA and (final) official transcript would be have been submitted to the school for use in verification anyway, and the chapters can use these to make decisions about grades.

I do agree that it is a good idea for girls to understand the obstacle that a poor GPA may present during recruitment. This wouldn’t be the same as sending a *warning* rec on a girl that one heard is not “morally acceptable,” for instance. I doubt an alum would want to explain that to a PNM who asked for a recommendation.