View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
My sister and her husband are both doctors and they both served on the exec boards of their Big 10/SEC Greek organizations in college. I've never once heard them say anything about their membership playing any role whatsoever in the medical school admissions process. Join a science-related honor society, volunteer at a hospital, study for the MCAT, etc.

The only connection my sister has ever mentioned is that residency matching is EXACTLY like bid matching...you list your ranked choices, the hospitals submit their ranked lists, there's a computerized ranking and matching system, and you are informed where you're placed. I guess the only difference is that no one drops because they "didn't like their hospital/house" so they'll try again next year for better results. By that age, people have learned that doesn't work.
THIS. Is exactly right. When my Son in law asked me if I understood the Match process, I said yes, it is just like sorority recruitment. He then asked me to explain it to his non Greek mother. Not certain that she ever got it, she wanted her son and my daughter to go to a particular place in Florida which they had little interest in for their specialties.

They prevailed, couples matched to their first choice in another state. Match Day is like Bid Day on steroids!