View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 02:02 PM

How did I miss this thread back in 2010?!

I'm fortunate enough to have lived most of my life in or near three of the greatest cities in the US, if not the world: New York, Boston, and New Orleans.

My favorite repeat destination when I was a child was London. I had family in the UK so my parents and I went there roughly every other year, always combined with a visit to one or two places in Europe. When I was in college, I visited Cape Cod a number of times. (The time to go is May before Memorial Day or September after Labor Day. It's out of season, so fewer tourists, and you can get over that bridge in less than two hours - but it's not cold. I made the mistake of going there in January once ... BRRR.) Now ... well, it's New Orleans. I live in the city, and some of the best restaurants in town are a short walk or drive from where I live.

My all-time favorite vacation ... oh, there are so many to choose from. I think I have to go with Alaska. I was 12 years old, and, when planning our summer vacation, my parents and I realized we'd been to 49 out of 50 states - so we decided to check off that last state, and spent 3 weeks in Alaska, specifically Anchorage, Denali Park, and Fairbanks. My father and I went whitewater rafting and hiking. The three of us also took a day trip to Barrow, so I've been north of the Arctic Circle (but it was August so no midnight sun). While I do enjoy sun and sand and sipping a large margarita by the pool, that trip was just ... unique.