View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

JLCO, your daughter is the only person who can decide if going Greek is right for her. She does this by signing up for recruitment and going through the process, and ultimately bidding a sorority to become a new member. She can drop out at any time if she decides it isn't right for her, but she is the only one who can make the determination. If she's interested, let her ask these questions. Greek Chat is a great resource for her, as is her university's office of Greek Life/Panhellenic.

All sorority members are unique and valuable, and have diverse school commitments and majors. Grades are a top priority and sororities have GPA requirements to maintain membership. However, members must learn to budget their own time accordingly. The sorority will not do it for them. If members don't meet minimum GPA requirements, they can be put on probation until their grades improve or ultimately will have resign their membership. Sororities recognize that academics are the reason why people go to college, and members with consistently low GPAs that fall below chapter standards will not be allowed to retain their membership.

Consider that whether or not your daughter joins a sorority, she will still attend college parties and likely fraternity parties. She will have a sisterhood with her dance team. She will be exposed to a variety of new experiences and decisions no matter if she is in a sorority or not.

I have several sorority sisters and friends who went on to med school. I also knew several Greeks who were on the football team, dance team, in the theatre program, etc. Other sisters worked full time concurrently with full time college enrollment. Like I said, all of our members are unique.

If your concerns are less "is Greek Life right for my kid" and more of "what are her chances of getting in?" We have no idea-- it is up to the women who are in charge of membership selection in the respective sororities at her university.

So if she wants to try it out, I say go for it. The worst thing that can happen is she doesn't get a bid, but she will have given it a try and developed some good interviewing skills in the process.

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-25-2013 at 11:49 AM.