View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulInterest View Post
I gave not one, but two definitions. Neither says it has to be for nonprofit organizations or a political cause. While that may be the traditional meaning of the word, I personally believe that any activity that is done to raise money for anything is fundraising. You guys have never heard of holding a fundraiser so a Girl Scout troop can do X, Y or Z? (As in, you've never heard of selling Girl Scout cookies)?? Or what about cheerleaders who hold a car wash to support getting new uniforms? That's not a fundraiser?? I guess I live in a different world than you
I'd really let this go. You're in college, so I assume you understand that words have denotations -- dictionary meanings -- and connotations -- what people associate with them. What you personally believe about what constitutes fund-raising is irrelevant to what the vast majority of people consider fund-raising.

Girl Scouts and cheerleaders are not apt comparisons; they are raising money for the group, not for themselves individually. People who support them are supporting the group as a whole. They don't think they're giving money to the individual members. You on the other hand and based on what you have said, are raising money to pay for your own personal obligations, not support the sorority or any other group. It's reasonable to expect that to raise some eyebrows.

Again, if it's what the practice in the sorority is, then that's what it is.